Passengers of Bilbao airport are allowed to check-in their luggage according to the booked class and the fare class rules. They are also allowed to take with them some small, lightweight objects, with determined dimensions into the airplane cabin: these objects are qualified as hand luggage.
The hand luggage consists of two pieces of luggage: a personal item and a piece of luggage. The piece of luggage must fit inside the baggage size meter, which is located at the check-in counters as an example, and the bag or package may not exceed the following measures: 114 cm (56 x 35 x 23 cm) or 22'' long x 14'' wide x 9'' high; nor the weight stipulated by the company for this type of baggage.
In accordance with security regulations, passengers must pass through security filters or checkpoints before entering the airport's security restricted areas ( boarding gates and exclusive passenger areas). These controls consist of metal detector arcs for people and X-rays for luggage. Both systems can be manually check if required by security staff. If you carry a laptop, or other electronic device in your hand luggage, you will generally be asked to take it out of your carrying bag for examination.
Passengers are not permitted to bring into the restricted security area, nor in the cabin of the aircraft, objects that may constitute a risk to the health of passengers and crew, as well to the safety of the aircraft and its assets. Such items must be checked in at Bilbao airport as baggage and/or be subject to the relevant procedure for boarding. Otherwise, they may be requisitioned by security staff. Please note that security staff may also deny access to the boarding area or the aircraft cabin to any passenger in possession of an item that arouses suspicion, even if not considered prohibited.
Do never check in or transport any luggage from unknown persons for your own safety and for the safety of other passengers.
Any object or article that may constitute a risk to the health of passengers and crew, as well as to the safety of the aircraft and its goods, must be checked in during check-in as luggage and / or the relevant procedure applied to be able to be boarded.
If you are in doubt about any object, go enough in advance to ask the staff at the security checkpoints.
- General dangerous items
- Pointed, sharp or blunt objects that are likely to be used to intimidate, assault or endanger security.
- Other dangerous objects
- Any other which constitute a risk for the health of passengers or crew.
- Any other which constitute a risk the safety of the aircraft, its goods or the cargo.
Please note that the fact that your airline accepts certain ambiguous items such as hand luggage, these may not be admitted in the security zone at subsequent security checks, or vice versa.
Liquids and gel
The European Union establishes a series of restrictions regarding the transport of liquids and gels on board the aircraft. These measures apply to all passengers departing from airports in the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland, regardless of their destination. The limitations affect the amount of liquids, or substances of similar consistency, that the passenger can carry as their hand luggage.
The regulations allow you to carry liquids in your hand luggage, provided that:
- The liquids are contained in container of maximum capacity of 100 ml.
- These containers are stored in a transparent, self-sealing bag for easy inspection, which does not exceed one litre capacity. Maximum one bag per passenger.
The list of liquids shown below can be carried in hand luggage.:
- Water and other beverages
- juice, soup, syrup, the content of baby bottles, yoghurt, body lotion, baby food.
- Food or special liquids
- for medical diets or special nutrition.
- Paste and creams
- toothpaste, cream and lotion, oil, perfume...
- shower gel, shampoo and hair gel...
- Pressurized containers (aerosol or sprays)
- deodorant, shaving cream, hair cosmetic, hairspray, and other products of similar consistency.
These limitations are only applicable to what the passenger brings with them, but these liquids can be acquired beyond the security controls, in the Duty Free shop of the Bilbao airport airport, and even on board the plane. If these products are sold in sealed bags, do not open them until you have finished your trip. If you are going to continue your trip at another international airport, do not open this sealed bag until you have left the last airport.
These security measures only affect your aircraft hand luggage. You can carry all the items described above in your checked luggage.
Chemical and toxic substances
The following articles may neither be transported in your hand luggage, nor stored in the hold of the aircraft:
- Acids and alkalis (for example, wet batteries that could cause spills).
- Corrosive or whitening substances (mercury, chlorine, etc.).
- Disabling or incapacitating sprays (mace, pepper spray, tear gas, etc.).
- Radioactive material (for example, isotopes for medical or commercial use).
- Infectious or biohazardous materials (for example, infected blood, bacteria and viruses).
- Materials with spontaneous ignition or combustion capacity.
- Fire extinguishers.
Security personnel may deny the transport of all luggage in the hold of the aircraft that contains an unlisted item that causes suspicion.
If you need to travel with solid medicines, it is recommended that you carry them in your hand luggage. Accompany them with the prescription, medical prescription, or specific justification of the passenger's condition, in case the security staff may require it during the security control.
Liquid medications are exempt from restrictions that affect the transport of liquids in hand luggage, as long as the use of the same is required by the passenger during the trip and its extension: outward flight + stay + return flight.
Although liquid regulations are not applicable in this case, liquid medications should also be shown in the security control, and presented separately from the transparent bag that is needed for the transport of other liquids.
If you need to transport other types of medical utensils, such as syringes for diabetics, measuring devices, etc., it is advisable to inform yourself of the specific procedure of your airline before flying.
The objects described below may not be carried as hand luggage and must therefore be checked in.
- Any type of firearms: pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.
- Replica or imitation firearms or blank cartridges.
- Firearm parts (except ordinary or telescopic sights).
If you intend to transport firearms, you should contact the Weapons Intervention Department (Departamento de Interveción de Armas) of the airport to obtain the necessary authorization. The weapons must be packed in a suitable case and will be returned to the Weapons Intervention of the destination airport, after delivery of the authorization obtained at origin.
Other type of weapons
- Air pistols, air rifles and pellet guns.
- Signal flare pistols.
- Starter pistols.
- Toy guns of all types (BB gun, etc.).
- Industrial bolt and nail guns.
- Crossbows, slings, harpoon and spear guns.
- Slaughterhouse guns or devices that stun or provoke shock, such as cattle prods or laser guns.
- Cigarette lighters or other lighters that imitate firearms.
Civil Guard (Guardia Civil)
Passenger Terminal, level 0.
(+34) 944 710 601.
Get additional information about prohibited articles in your hand luggage or your checked baggage at aeropuertosenred.com .